I don't know about you but I saw a team wearing white jerseys that really shined on Sunday. Most of the game was played in front of the Warrenton goal with our girls working combinations together, making crosses, backline pushing it up to the front line on the sides (just like we have been instructing them). Also, this was done without a single punt from our goalie. Our girls worked the ball up the field from the back on several occasions (again, just like we instructed them). We had far more shots on goal and scoring opportunities. As I said to the Sweet Cleats, we won every aspect of the game. Yes the other team came out ahead but each goal did not result from any build up or organization, each one was a break away on a long kick or a deflection. This is going to happen. Eventually, (could be several seasons) the teamwork and insightful play will pay off for each one of your girls.
I was not happy at all that the girls great play did not get rewarded with a win (I don't mind as much if the other team plays better) but my #1 mission is to teach your girls good soccer (regardless of end result) and I was very pleased and very proud of them today. For the first game of the season and the first time they all played together, they played great soccer. Anyone watching the game could easily see that. They are really beginning to get the "beautiful game" and we are just getting starting.
We'll keep working on the two areas that you could see today that as a team they need the most work: Scoring and Defending.
Thanks,
Joey
2 comments:
Thanks, Joey. I'm just checking to see if we can easily add comments.
It wont let me send comments
Post a Comment